(This article was originally published in the MarketingExperiments email newsletter.)
Definition of RANDOM: “Having no definite aim or purpose; not sent or guided in a particular direction; made, done, occurring, etc., without method or conscious choice; haphazard.”Oxford English Dictionary
We have been living in the age of random for awhile now. It’s popular to wear a hodgepodge of patterns, listen to unrelated ideas in song lyrics, go to “random” places, visit “random” people, and even to believe opposing ideologies, no matter how illogical.
Although living a random existence may be a popular postmodern construct, it does not serve the marketer who needs to create a high-converting landing page. Yet randomness prevails even in the digital marketing world.
Random ideas are often cobbled together in planning meetings without a coherent, unified goal and methodology to achieve it. The results are a leaky funnel and untapped customers. So even good random ideas aren’t enough.
In this recent live video session, Flint McGlaughlin, CEO and Managing Director, MECLABS Institute, shares how you can move from good ideas to strategic messaging.
Watch the replay to learn three advanced principles to help achieve strategic messaging and overcome these deadly conversion mistakes:
- Pages before hypotheses
- Diagnosis without prescription
- Creativity without science
Here are some key points in the video:
- 4:20 Beware of building a landing page before you develop a hypothesis.
- 4:43 Beware of diagnosing the problem in your funnel without providing a prescription
- 7:56 Beware of creativity without science
- 10:00 How can you move from good ideas to strategic messaging?
- 16:16 1st way: Understand the transition from diagnosis to prescription
- 17:32 2nd way: Work from the customer’s point of view rather than a sense of talent
- 21:12 Martin Buber and the concept of “the other”
- 23:16 Live optimization – Nursing program
- 27:32 Tracking customer footprints – Ask yourself what stimulated the last behavior that led them to your landing page.
- 38:15 3rd way: Move from elements to coherence – Thomas S. Kuhn
- 41:45 Testing webpages – Variable Cluster explanation and advice
- 47:27 Three questions to ask yourself to get your page in the high-performance zone
Landing Page Optimization on-demand certification course by MECLABS Institute – Learn to convert a higher percentage of landing page visitors to sales leads, donations or product sales.
Designing Hypotheses that Win: A four-step framework for gaining customer wisdom and generating marketing results
CRO Cheat Sheet: Customer thinking guide for conversion rate
15 Resources to Help You Use a Repeatable Process for Conversion Rate
Random and out there ideas have been the lifeblood of marketing and advertising for years but like you mentioned having a broken or leaky funnel will kill all efforts. But at the same time if the out there idea doesnt come full circle to your point, you’re just being weird. Haha.